Today I’m going to talk about public buses in Skiathos and the new system started in mid-2022, to show you how to move around Skiathos by bus, in my opinion the best way to move around the island.
We’ll see bus lines, fares, timetable and other useful details to move around this wonderful greek island.
If you already had a look at the guide on best beaches in Skiathos or the ten things you can’t miss out in Skiathos, you already noticed that buses in Skiathos are the best way to hang around the island as they let you reach most of the destinations with no need to rent a car..
Car rental and Quad or bike rental in Skiathos
Car rentals in Skiathos are available, but I think they are not worth it. You could probably have some more freedom and no need to care about the clock, but it you would waste a lot of time searching for a parking in Skiathos Town.
Skiathos is a small island large less than ten miles, with just a bunch of paved roads, most of them on the south part of the island and around the main town, called “Skiathos Town”.
The other roads are basically stone or sand roads in the middle of the green nature. You may also walk many of them, like for example the one to get to Mandraki Beach. If you still want to rent a car then have a look at this price-checker to get a comparison between different car rentals available for your days.
Otherwise you may rent a Quad or motorbike, but there are many odd reviews online about people getting harmed due to bad roads, motor problems or insurance problems… so pay attention!
Buses in Skiathos
So let’s get back to buses in Skiathos! A new bus company took place in mid-2022 replacing all the buses, the new ones are white (so always check the destination written in front) and introducing a new bus line and new ticket fares. The official website is not too clear so let’s try to make it clear now.
What are the bus lines in Skiathos?
Since mid-2022 there are four summer bus lines in Skiathos, 3 are pretty the same as before, 1 is totally new:
- Airport-Port-Koukonaries runs along the entire island (ancient Red line) through the main street on the south coast, stopping at 26 bus stops;
- Skiathos Port-Kalyvia-Evangelistria brings people to the Evangelistras Monastery (ancient Green line);
- Skiathos Port-Xanemos, a short line from the town to Xanemos beach, that beach just at the northern side of the airport runaway (ancient blue line);
- the new line Troulos-Aselinos, that let people reach the northern coast (Aselinos beach).
Most of the 26 stops are located near a beach or a smaller town.
Or you can read my guide to the best Skiathos beaches where I’m giving you the number of the best stop for each beach!
There’s no specific lane or bus stop, you’ll probably see just a timetable sticked somewhere and a minibus waiting for departure time.
Skiathos Port – Xanemos
This short bus line goes from Skiathos town to Xanemos beach. The route may have slightly changed with the new company, but it should be the following:
Troulos – Aselinos
Buses in Skiathos since mid-2022 let you reach also the north coast with the introduction of this new bus line, running between Troulos and Aselinos beach. The itinerary is the following:
Tickets for Skiathos buses
There are also some new ways to buy bus tickets in Skiathos since 2023.
Bus tickets can be purchased at one of the three “i-box” (info-box): one is located at Skiathos port (stop 0), another at stop number 4 and the third at the last stop in Koukounaries (number 26). At these i-box you can also pay by cards. You can better check where they are located on the official website.
Additionally, a few bus stops (Airport, Port, Koukounaries, Aselinos, Troulos, Xanemos, Evangelistria and Kalyvia) should have staff members on place providing tickets and informations.
Lastly, you can still purchase tickets on board from the driver.
Ticket prices raised since 2022 unfortunately, these are the new prices (always double check on the official website):
- 3€ if you are leaving/arriving to the airport o leaving/arriving to Aselinos beach.
- 2€ for any other destination.
There are no multiple tickets or daily/weekly tickets available, so just bring with you lot of coins 😀
Timetables of buses in Skiathos
Timetables change with the season, but you’ll find the current timetable sticked on most of the bus and on the Skiathos’ buses official website.
In the summer theres is a bus each 15 minutes, usually 7am until midnight.
Keep in mind that when there are lots of people taking the bus the journey duration can raise up to 30 minutes resulting in delays.
Advice: if you are visiting Skiathos in high peak season, try to jump on the bus on the first stops, i.e. 1 to 4 going west or 26 to 23 going east, so you can probably find a seat; buses in fact keep bringing up people with no limits (and it can get reeeeally crowded at certain times) 😆
How to get to Skiathos airport?
You have four ways to get to Skiathos airport:
- Go by foot, it’s about 1 mile from the airport to Skiathos Town, and the are no hills in the middle, so pretty easy if you have no big luggages;
- Check if your hotel has a shuttle service to bring you there. Some of them bring their guests for free; I’ve been at Aiolos House, the owners have been very kind and offered to bring us back and forth because our stay was long enough (7 days);
- By bus (Airport-Port-Koukonaries line), that will cost 3€ per person;
- Go by taxi with at least 12€: but pay attention as taxi drivers are pretty annoying… when I landed in Skiathos, while I was waiting with my friends the shuttle coming from our hotel, I’ve been hooked up 3 times by the same taxi drivers.
The first time they asked my destination, and I said I was waiting my shuttle; at a second time they came saying that my shuttle wouldn’t come for sure and I had to be fast to take a taxi because in a few minutes they would have gone; the third time they said something else that I didn’t understand but contained the word “police”….
Now that you know all about buses in Skiathos, it’s time to catch it to see the best beaches in Skiathos !
Last but not least, you should also find a good and cheap flight to Skiathos: type your nearest airport in the box below to find the cheapest flights!
Did you find this post helpful? Help me with a like on the official facebook page ! 😉 This way you can see each time I have good news and you’ll help this site growing! Thanks!